Sunday, December 20, 2009

For My Wife

I am writing this blog specifically for my lovely wife. For the last three days, I have been Mr. Mom. Julie is sick in bed, and it looks that it could be some time before she is better, which sucks since this next week is Christmas! We are going to try our hardest to be out in West Texas for the big Presley extravaganza. Should be a barn burner!

Let me just start by saying this. I am a pretty good husband. I am a crappy wife. This sure hasn't been easy by any stretch of the imagination. Thursday was Salem's Christmas party at school, and Julie was supposed to bring juice and help with the party.  The juice I could handle. Playing mommy at the party with a bunch of other mommy's, not so much. Especially since I think that in their mind, they are wondering why I don't have a job. Well, a real job anyways to where I couldn't possibly get away because I am so important. But in reality, they probably weren't thinking that at all, but rather thinking, why does this taco meat taste like ass? That's because I didn't let it simmer.  Julie makes the taco meat!  Not me! Why are you looking at me with those condemning eyes! That's the way it played out in my head. In reality, they were all very nice and thought it was funny that I couldn't do something simple like cook meat. I am a man. Cooking any kind of meat should be in my blood.  Guess not.

So the kids have been pawned off a few times in the last four days. The neighbors, close friends, not so close friends, Sunday school classes, you name it. I have spent the entire time it seems doing dishes. How in the crap do we go through so many dishes? We are a family of four for Obama's sake! Salem has played the Wii pretty much the entire time he has been home.  I know it is not good to do that, but when he's into a game, he isn't making a mess that I have to clean up! Josiah doesn't have a vice yet to hold his attention. Cartoons don't do it.  When Salem was his age, we could have a playdate with his friend Thomas the Train and he was captive for at least 30 minutes.  Josiah isn't interested in the least.  The only thing he is interested in is playing with things that he isn't supposed to. So for three days, I have been hiding things so that he can't get to it, and he will find some object to stand on and typically get to my first hiding spot before I realize that I need to go higher. My only reprieve his his nap. That only happens once a day no matter how much I try to change that.

Last night, we were supposed to have a Christmas party. It got canceled for obvious reasons. Not everyone get that message though. Sorry Bethany. She showed up in her Christmas best with a date and a plate of Christmas cookies.  I felt terrible.  Hopefully the date found some redeeming moments of spontaneity. She did leave the cookies. I was sitting on the couch watching "The Hangover" on my laptop because it had to be back by 9. There were probably 10 cookies on that plate.  I heard a ruccus in the other room where the cookies were being stored, and by the time I got there, all but two had vanashed, and Josiah had a huge smile on his face. Come to think of it, so did the dog. Mind you he is not  yet 2. I guess they were good.  Thanks Bethany!

We do appreciate all of the people who have been praying.  My wife isn't out of the woods yet.  In fact, far from it.  We will know more in the coming days, but please continue to pray that God would heal Julie. She has had a rough few days, and we are uncertain how this will play out. Pray for me too, that I will have wisdom in the decisions that I have to make for the fam. I pray that all of you have a blessed Christmas season. Remember to put the "mas" back in Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. You're doing a better job than I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. School Christmas parties are INSANE. I avoid them. My worth/value as a parent cannot be related to how I handle school parties.
    Sounds like you're doing a GREAT job as Mr. Mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so needed to read this! Rocky, I am sure you have done a GREAT job takin care of the kiddos while your wife is sick. Lifting her up in prayer. Hope she is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header hand photo by Aaron Murphy